The Self-Directed Industry Professional (SDIP) Certification is for self-directed IRA industry professionals who have dedicated IRA technical, operational, and compliance oriented expertise. The RITA Certified SDIP designation signifies that an individual working in the self-directed IRA industry has attained comprehensive training in the following areas: IRA alternative investments such as promissory notes, real estate, LLCs, precious metals, and private stock, prohibited transactions, UBTI, anti-fraud measures, disclosures, as well as expertise in IRA documentation, reporting requirements, eligibility and contribution requirements, IRA portability, and distributions.
Candidates for the SDIP designation must complete all of the following:
- Attend the RITA IRA Advanced Institute,
- Pass the RITA IRA Advanced Institute Exam,
- Have a minimum of two (2) years of dedicated IRA operational and technical experience,
- Have either a CISP designation or pass the RITA IRA Fundamentals Test, and
- Have a letter of recommendation that attests to the candidate's qualifications and IRA experience.
RITA INSTITUTE FUNDAMENTALS TEST
The IRA Institute is sponsoring the IRA Institute's Fundamental test. If you have already taken the IRA Institute's Advanced class, passed the test and have 2 years or more experience in the IRA industry, you can sign up to take the Fundamentals test.
If you pass the Fundamentals test with a 75% or more grade, you will receive the Self-Directed Industry Professional (SDIP) certification. You can study for the test by using the IRS Publication 590.
*If you already have a CISP designation, have 2 years experience in the self-directed industry and have successfully passed the Advanced Class, Focus on Self-Directed IRA Administration & Investments, you do NOT need to take the Fundamentals test.
You have 60 days from the day you register for this test to take the test.
Contact Kathryn Coleman at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
FUNDAMENTALS TEST PRICING
- RITA Members: $200
- Non-Members: $350
How to Track SDIP Continuing Education Credits
Certified SDIPs can view and track their continuing education credits on sdip.ritaus.org.
Once you've logged in to the site, you'll see:
- How many credits you have earned;
- Total credits required to maintain your certification;
- What date you need your credits by;
- When your certificate was issued;
- List of past events to select from to receive credits; and
- Upcoming events for opportunities to earn more credits.
If you have any issues accessing your SDIP account, please email email@example.com.